1. RESERVATIONS/DEPOSIT: Rooms will be reserved on a first-received basis; provided that priority shall be given to activities, programs and meetings that are directly related to the development and maintenance of alumni programs of the Alumni Association. Reservations are made by delivering to the Director of Corporate and Community Events a fully executed license agreement accompanied by a deposit (the "Deposit") equal to either (i) 50% of the license fee if (a) the license fee is equal to or greater than $500 and (b) the date of the event is at least 30 days after the date of such submission, or (ii) 100% of the license fee if (a) the license fee is under $500 or (b) the date of the event is less than 30 days after the date of such submission. The periods surrounding all home football games, Homecoming, the Holiday Season, Maryland Day, Reunion Weekend, Leadership Conference, Alumni College and Commencement will be blocked out for use by the Alumni Association and released to others after the Alumni Association's schedule is completed. In general, these events are scheduled at least one year in advance.
2. LICENSE FEE: The license fee includes the use of tables, standard conference chairs, set-up and general clean-up. The license fee is based on a four-hour event. This block of time is for the actual event. Caterers and vendors will be admitted to the venue space two hours prior to the event for setup. Clean-up must be completed within one hour after the event. The Director of Corporate and Community Events must approve additional set-up/clean-up time. The remaining balance of the license fee (if any) is due two weeks prior to the event. Any event extending past the contracted end time will be assessed a late fee at an hourly rate equal to $500. License fees are subject to change from time to time; provided that any price changes will not affect any fully executed license agreement that has been delivered to the Director of Corporate and Community Events along with the appropriate Deposit.
3. EQUIPMENT/ANCILLARY SERVICES: Rental equipment, chivari or other special chairs, audio/visual aids, lecterns, LCD players, dance floors, staging and tenting etc. may be arranged through the Director of Corporate and Community Events. Licensee must agree to these services by executing a License Agreement Addendum that will list the terms and fees for any equipment or ancillary service. Charges will be included on the final bill. Additional charges that occur at the event will be billed within two weeks of the event. Licensee shall have one week after receiving such bill to make payment in full for such additional charges. In the event that Licensor does not receive such payment in full within such two week period, Licensee hereby authorizes and directs Licensee to charge such additional charges to the credit card account of Licensee being held pursuant to Section 9 hereof.
4. CATERING: To ensure the success of your event, Licensor has pre-screened a wide range of excellent area caterers. All Licensees must contract directly with one of these preferred caterers for their food, non-alcoholic beverage, linen and china/service ware rental needs. (See Required Caterers/Preferred Vendors List). Should Licensee choose to arrange catering services through Licensor, Licensee must present a valid credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) to be held on file. Any catering charges will be included in the final bill. Licensee shall have one week after receiving such bill to make payment in full for such additional charges. In the event that Licensor does not receive such payment in full within such two week period, Licensee hereby authorizes and directs Licensee to charge such additional charges to the credit card account of Licensee being held pursuant to Section 9 hereof.
5. ALCOHOL: Licensee hereby covenants and agrees to ensure compliance at its event with the terms of Licensor's liquor license, a copy of which can be viewed at the offices of the Licensor, as well as all applicable alcoholic beverage laws. Licensee specifically acknowledges that (i) all persons must be at least 21 years of age to possess or consume alcohol and (ii) alcoholic beverages may not be sold or served to individuals who appear to be or are intoxicated. All alcoholic beverage services must be contracted through the Licensor. Contact your event manager for a list of options and pricing. All bartending staff must be arranged with Licensee's caterer at least 14 days prior to your event Please contact your caterer directly to set up bartender service. Licensor assumes no responsibility for the improper and/or illegal consumption of alcoholic beverages during your event at the Alumni Center.
6. PARKING: Paid parking is available for guests of Licensee at the Stadium Drive Parking garage conveniently located next to the Alumni Center (see staff for details). In addition, free surface parking is available in Lot 1 to guests of Licensee Monday-Friday after 4:00 p.m. and on weekends, except during University of Maryland home football games. Go to www.umterps.com for sporting event schedules. Valet parking can be arranged, for a fee, for your event by the Director of Corporate and Community Events.
7. CANCELLATIONS: The Deposit is non-refundable. In addition, if cancellations are made with less than 30 days advance notice, Licensee is liable for the remaining license fee (if any) if the space is not re-licensed prior to the event time.
The Samuel Riggs IV Alumni Center follows the University of Maryland inclement weather procedures. If the event is canceled due to inclement weather, Licensor will make commercially reasonable efforts to reschedule the event for another date.
8. FORCE MAJEURE: If the Premises or any part of the Center is destroyed or damaged by an Act of God or any other cause, or if any other casualty or unforeseen occurrence renders the Center unsafe or impracticable to use, then this Agreement shall be terminated and the Licensee shall be entitled to reimbursement of the unearned portion of fees and charges for services.
If any act or omission of Licensee, its agents, employees, members or invitees render the Center or any part thereof unsafe or impracticable to use then Licensee shall be liable for all fees charged hereunder as well as any and all charges, costs, claims or liabilities, direct or indirect, accrued or suffered by Licensor as a result thereof, in addition to such other damages as may result from such acts or omissions.
9. ARRANGEMENT DEADLINES: Final arrangements (Room set-up diagram, audio/visual needs, additional special arrangements) for all events must be provided to the Director of Corporate and Community events, in writing, no later than two weeks prior to the event for review and approval.
10. AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT MUTUAL COMPLIANCE: The Licensor and Licensee shall make reasonable accommodations for guests as stated in the Americans with Disabilities Act.
11. PROPERTY DAMAGES: Licensee hereby agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Licensor and its present and future members, controlling persons, directors, officers, employees and agents from any and all claims, demands, actions, causes of action, damages, expenses, losses, or liabilities arising in any way out of Licensee's use of the Alumni Center including, without limitation, any such claims, demands, actions, causes of action, damages, expenses, losses, or liabilities incurred by Licensor due to any violation of the covenants made by Licensee in Section 5 hereof.
12. INDEMNIFICATION: Licensee hereby agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Licensor and its present and future members, controlling persons, directors, officers, employees and agents from any and all claims, demands, actions, causes of action, damages, expenses, losses, or liabilities arising in any way out of Licensee's use of the Alumni Center including, without limitation, any such claims, demands, actions, causes of action, damages, expenses, losses, or liabilities incurred by Licensor due to any violation of the covenants made by Licensee in Section 5 hereof.
13. INSURANCE: During the term of this License, unless Licensor has expressly waived this requirement in writing, Licensee shall maintain public liability insurance with a limit of not less than $1,000,000 bodily injury and property damage combined single limit each occurrence. Additionally, Licensee must name Licensor as an additional insured.
Proof of insurance must be submitted a minimum of 15 days prior to the term of this license. The University of Maryland Alumni Association must be listed as an additional insured party on the certificate.
14. PAYMENT: All bills are prepared by and payable to the University of Maryland Alumni Association. Payments may be made by check money order, Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover. Maryland sales tax will be added to all applicable charges. Those organizations that are exempt from Maryland Sales Tax must provide a copy of their Maryland Tax Exemption Certificate to Director of Corporate and Community Events at the time the reservation is made. There will be a $30 service fee for any returned checks.
15. RESTRICTIONS: Licensee shall comply with each of the following restrictions. Failure to comply with any of the following restrictions may, at Licensor's sole option, result in the immediate revocation of this License as set forth in Section 14 below:
(a) The use of rice, confetti, birdseed or other similar related items including smoke, fog, colored water, and open burning candles are not allowed inside the center.
(b) Banners, signs, decorations, etc. may not be taped, glued or otherwise affixed to walls, floors, or columns and/or hung from light fixtures and ceilings. The Alumni Center will provide adequate directional signage for your event.
(c) No Alumni Center property, fixtures or furnishings may be moved without specific written approval of the Alumni Center staff.
(d) Approved caterers must provide food or drink. No outside food or beverages shall be brought into the Alumni Center.
(e) The Riggs Alumni Center is a smoke-free environment. Smoking is permitted outdoors in designated areas only.
(f) Gambling of any kind is prohibited.
(g) No pets of any kind are allowed except for service animals used by the disabled.
(h) Lost or misplaced items are not the responsibility of the Alumni Center.
16. CLEANING SERVICES: Licensor is responsible for cleaning services in all common areas of the building. Licensee's caterer is responsible for the removal and disposal of all trash related to food & beverage functions. The licensee is responsible for the removal of all bulk trash during the term of the license contract. The removal of bulk trash is applicable to the ballrooms, conference rooms, pre-function areas and registration areas. Bulk trash is defined as all boxes, crates, pallets, packing materials and other items not easily removed by a standard vacuum or push broom. Such items should be removed by the end time stated on the license contract.
Should licensee leave bulk trash after the contracted license time, licensor has the right to bill licensee for a cleaning fee of $200.00.
Should licensee not have a contracted caterer, a fee of $200.00 will be charged to the licensee for cleaning and upkeep of the event during the term of the license contract.
Licensor will provide one trash dumpster haul per event. Additional dumpsters or additional dumpster pulls will be billed at the prevailing rate. Cleaning and trash removal fees will be assessed if Licensor standards are not maintained and will be charged to the Licensee.
Any additional cleaning that is required due to licensee's event and guests will be billed to the licensee at a rate of $14.00 per hour, per worker.
17. SIGNS AND BANNERS: Interior Banners: Licensor will hang one banner complimentary within the Licensee's leased space. Additional banners can be hung by Licensor's staff and charged at the prevailing rate per banner. Banners may also be hung by Licensee's decoration or production company. In order for Licensor to hang banners, they must have grommets. Locations of banners and how they are installed are subject to approval of the Licensor's Director of Facilities. Protection of the facility and safety of attendees are our primary considerations.
Exterior Banners: Exterior banners may be considered when the building is being used exclusively by one Licensee. Installation and removal of exterior banners will be charged at the prevailing rates. Limited locations are available and are subject to the final approval of the Director of Facilities and the Director of Corporate & Community Events. Once approval has been obtained from the Director, banners may also be hung by Licensee's decorator or production company.
- Signs must be professionally produced to ensure proper quality, typeset and appearance.
- Signs shall be mounted and displayed appropriately. Signs cannot be taped, nailed or screwed to walls, doors or
related fixtures. Signs can be placed on easels that do not block aisles, doorways or exits. Licensor can provide up to
(10) easels for the Licensee at no charge.
- Signs cannot block exit signs, emergency exits, fire alarms, or suppression equipment.
18. SECURITY: The enlistment of security services during an event is optional with the exception of those events where 50 percent of attendees are minors (minors are defined as persons under the age of 18). One security guard will be required for every 150 people (minors and adults) in attendance at the event. Security will reserve the right to bar entrance to the event or expel guests from the event as it deems necessary.
19. REVOCABLE LICENSE: This License grants the Licensee a revocable, non-transferable, non-exclusive right to use that portion of the Alumni Center set forth above for the specific purposes set forth above. The University of Maryland Alumni Association reserves the right to deny use or continued use of its facilities to persons or organizations not complying with the Alumni Association's policies and procedures set forth in this document or as otherwise set forth in writing and delivered to Licensee. No portion of the license fee shall be refunded to Licensee if this License is terminated as set forth above.
here to view the Samuel Riggs IV Alumni Center Sales Kit.